26 June 2006

Onwards and Upwards


For me, "Noble People Treasured Land" was a success. Sales of both some original artwork and reproductions, as well as comments, in general,were encouraging.

But, no time to rest in the afterglow. To quote John C. Maxwell, "Yesterday ended last night. Today matters." So onward and upwards in my career.

Earlier in June, I was delighted to be able to visit Stewart Island, New Zealand. My daughter works at Rakiura Gallery selling everything but the fixtures. Her employer is now exhibiting my artwork, "Kai Moana" as well as "Storm Rising" and Storm Ending" in their lovely gallery. My main reason for the ferry ride across the Foveaux Strait to Oban was to photograph this pristine environment in order to create artwork.

This was my first visit to Stewart Island. What a national treasure! Pristine, remote and lovely. The sunny winter weather, with the very few visitors to island, especially compared to summertime, added to the sense of experiencing something special. I especially enjoyed my water taxi ride around Patterson Inlet with Peter Cox. The water was still, the sun bright and the air crystal clear.

The next day I felt extremely privaleged to be able to experience Ulva Island. This small island inside Patterson Inlet is a sanctuary for New Zealand-only plants and animals. Because of the isolation, it is easier to keep predatory animals away from kiwi and saplings in the bush. It was simply awe-inspiring to walk through the bush. I especially enjoyed my encounter with the waka birds, a cheeky and bold cousin of sorts to the shy kiwi, which is flightless as well.

When you visit New Zealand, I very much encourage you to make the effort to visit Southland. Make sure you go the extra mile(or kilometer or so) and take the short ferry or plane ride to Stewart Island. If you love experiencing magnificent, pristine nature at it's best, you will not be
disappointed.

No comments: