02 March 2009

A Fruitful Absence

It's great to be back!! And it's been a busy absence.

First, I feel I had to support the blackout in protest to the "Guilt by Accusation" law in New Zealand. As a result of the widespread pressure, the government is giving the ISPs about 30 days to come up with a workable law, or the whole amendment will be shelved.

Then, I am slowed down for a week with what my husband calls the "100 day cough" although I'm inclined to disagree. According to my Google-ing, that name belongs to a form of whooping cough. No "whooping" here, just alot of "hack, hack, hack"! Hard to get a good night's sleep.

During all this period of supporting the black out and tending to my own hacking and coughing fits, I also manage to really make some good progress on my Ephemeral Perception series of paintings, plus enjoy some important networking, thanks to Chrysalis Seed Arts Community created by Chrysalis Seed Trust.

Peter and Jessica Crothall, Directors of Chrysalis Seed Trust, seek to visit as many New Zealand Christian artists, tertiary schools, and churches as possible on their epic journey through both big Islands. Their aim is to encourage serious artists in their walk in the Christian faith, as well as to help mitigate the isolation often experienced. I am thrilled to have hosted this dynamic couple in my home for a meal, eager to learn of their vision. I ask them how I can help. Their response? What can we do to help you? I am quite amazed. They have found other believer artists in Invercargill, and now it's up to me to take their good work and move forward .

I've been engaging in a bit of light philosophy as well. Principally, I'm pondering exactly what is a Christian visual artist? A person who paints overtly religious things? Are we to create images of Jesus? I hope not, because I sincerely consider paintings of Christ that I've seen so far incongruous to the Isaiah passage about the Messiah having no particularly handsome or attractive physical features. Or, is an artist of faith simply one who happens to be Christian, daily and earnestly living the walk of excellence in everything, including the act of creating art? Or is it something all together different from this? Perhaps it is an amalgamation that includes these ideas?

I'm reading "Visual Faith: Art, Theology, and Worship in Dialogue", by William A, Dyrness to see if I can find out. Given to me by Peter and Jessica as a gift of Chrysalis Seed Trust, the book explores art and art creators in relation to the Christian faith. I'm into the first chapter, a slow read for me, admittedly, due to all the ponderous statements and information.

Late last week, on Chrysalis Seed Arts Community site, I notice newcomer Jason Goroncy's blog simply announcing .pdf lectures are posted. I download one about hope and despair entitled "Pablo Picasso and Romans 5:1-5", where the author cites works of theologians, poets, novelists and painters to explore the theme. I like what I read, so I download them all. I learn of a Sunday trip Jason is making to Invercargill. Well, stop in for a cuppa and see what I'm doing in my studio, and meet my art patron....my husband! Whoa!! I still can't believe I invited him! Normally, I'm quite shy, but this is the year I am stepping out in faith to try new things.

Jason Goroncy, a lecturer at the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership in Dunedin, also possesses a degree in Fine Arts. What an excellent fellow. I especially enjoyed the challenging dialog with Jason regarding my paintings. Ever the gentleman, Jason is not afraid to ask probing questions, even uncomfortable ones. I love it. I need it.

Last week I visited the Riverton Arts Centre to see Deow's "A Balance of Options" exhibition for the second time. This exhibition may have ended this last weekend, but the exhibition and Danny Owen, aka Deow, are worth a mention. I lost my notes from the first visit and was too busy meeting folks or coughing my head off to return before last Thursday. The return visit is well worth it. You are invited to read my coming soon review on An American in Paradise: Observation and Information on Deep South Visual Arts. At least treat yourself to a view of Deow's website at http://www.deow.co.nz/, although I have to say his site does not do justice to his work. Through email today, I've learned I'll get to interview him for this blog either this week or next, so stay tuned.

By the way, my friend , Robin McNeil, fellow violist and renaissance man extraordinaire, suggests I partially rename my review blog by replacing "Deep South" with "Great South". He says it has more positive connotations...sounds more majestic! What do you think??


No comments: